1) Go to http://www.zonelabs.com,
it should redirect you to the store.
2) Click on "Download & Buy", when that
page loads, scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see a link
for ZoneAlarm "Free Download".
3) Once you click that link it will take you to a page and it will present
you with a series of checkboxes, scroll to the bottom of that page and
click the "Submit" button.
4) The next page you get to, make sure you ZoneAlarm "Download
Now" on the far right. This link will finally get you to
the page where you can download ZoneAlarm.
5) On this page it asks you about cleaning off trojans and viruses before
installing ZoneAlarm (also note: if a pop-up window opens, just close it),
just ignore it and click the link on the bottom that says "Download
FREE ZoneAlarm". This link should shoot you off to Cnet Download.com
to download the installer. I would suggest downoading it to your Desktop
so you know where it is, but it is your choice.
6) Once the installer is downloaded to your PC, double click the installer
to being the installation.
7) You can pick where ZoneAlarm will be installed, the default is fine,
but if you wish to change it you can. Then click "Next"
8) The next screen asks you for some personal info (Name, Company and
email), you can fill this in with bogus information if you want to (thats
what I do) and make sure you uncheck the 2 boxes for product updates and
stuff. Then click "Next"
9) Next, read the EULA or END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT and click "Do
10) You will then be presented with the User Survey screen, feel free
to fill this out with either real or bogus information, it is up to you.
Then click "Finish"
11) Finally, ZoneAlarm wil ask if you if you want to start it right away.
12) Now comes the configuration of ZoneAlarm itself so we can see what
kind of traffic is trying to get into and get out of your PC!
You will see a screen like this:
13) The next screen is the most important in order for you
to discover what kind of traffic is happening. on the next screen you will
see a radio button which says "Alert me whenever ZoneAlarm
block traffic" then click "Finish"
14) Have you got a fresh coffee yet? If not go ahead and
get one...I'll wait. You got it? Good let's continue! You've a couple
more things to configure so be paitient. The next screen is the permission
configuration screen. Now, I am a stickler for quailty so I like to configure
So you want to select the second radio button down which
is "No. Alert me when my browser and these components need
Internet access." The reason I do this is so that I get prompted
everytime something tries to leave my computer, and I then research the
supicous ones to see if any "cracker" software is already on
the PC. Once you have selected it, click "Finish"
15) Now you are on the last screen where it says "Conratulations!".
Select the second radio button down which says "Skip the
tutorial and start ZoneAlarm. I can..." and then click "Finish"
16) As soon as you hit "Finish" ZoneAlarm will
start and will imediatley start alerting you to traffic outbound from your
computer and will ask you what ZoneAlarm should do with it (allow it or
deny it), programs like MSN Messenger, Internet Explorer shold all be allowed,
however, if you see a program that you are unsure about, stop it and then
get the name of the executable and do a search on Google
for it. If you can account for the program and believe it is legitimate,
get ZoneAlarm to let it through, if you can't make sure ZoneAlarm keeps
17) Some of the traffic you will see coming in is legitmate
traffic from your ISP and internet programs like MSN Messenger, ICQ, Trellian
etc. If the traffic is known "cracker" activity like a port scan
or ping sweep, ZoneAlarm should alert you and explain to you what the traffic
18) Anyways, this will at least get you some measure of protection
until you can get a hardware router/firewall appliance.